Work status, as of April 28, 2014: I'm taking on contract projects and looking for full-time employment. Contact me if you'd like to discuss something.
Dan Rasmussen's Geo-Resume
Green Kites represent universities where I studied.
Blue Kites represent places where I was employed.
Golden Kites represent places where I did volunteer work.
Map data last updated: February 06, 2013
Code/interface last updated: April 21, 2014.
Dan Rasmussen's Resume
+1 (504) 208-1167
- Iowa State University, Ames, IA
Bachelor of Arts, Fall 2005
- Dortmund University, Dortmund, Germany
2002-2003, Study abroad through the International Student Exchange Program
- Hardware: Computer building and maintenance. Wired/wireless networking and intranet setup. Printing.
- Operating Systems: Unix/Linux, Google Android, Windows (3.1, 9x, XP), MacOS X, and DOS.
The Personal Telco Project, Portland, OR. 2011 - ongoing
- On the Nonprofit's Board of Advisors
- Rewrote homepage
- Extensively updated and enhanced the group's knowledge base, becoming masterfully adept at wiki/documentation maintenance.
PlantGDB.org, Ames, IA. March 2009 - Sept 2010
- Made vast improvements in website availability, reliability, predictability, search engine friendliness, security, accessibility, documentation, page load speed, and reduction of broken links across hundreds of web pages
- Improved functionality and work flow for a complicated section of the website, enabling researchers and students to do what they do best, and reducing necessary maintenance time
- Engaged in knowledge sharing with colleagues of different backgrounds: they taught me about genetics as I helped them improve mastery of website technology
Cycles Recycling. Ames, IA. April 2007 - June 2008
- Involved in all aspects of running a fully bicycle-powered curbside recycling company: intense physical labor, customer service, billing, purchases, route planning, and hardware maintenance.
- Managed a total of four employees: hiring, training, payroll, schedules, etc.
- Created a database and web-based interface to keep track of customers, routes, schedules, and billing.
- Created a website for the company.
Webmaster and Chief Technologist
Fallon for Governor Campaign. Des Moines, IA. Nov. 2004 - May 2005.
- Redesigned campaign website in time for the gubernatorial announcement rally, making it accessible and much more useful.
- Set up email and internet/intranet, ensured data security and proper operation of campaign computers.
RuffaloCODY. Ames, IA. May 2004 - Feb. 2005.
- Worked with data transformations using Oracle. Wrote and maintained documentation.
C# Developer and Web Developer
Iowa State University's Virtual Reality Applications Center
Ames, IA. Oct. 2003 - April 2004.
- Using C#, co-developed a trust-based file sharing and searching application.
Visual Basic Intern and Intranet Development Intern
MemberWorks (now called
Vertrue). Omaha, NE. Summer 2002.
- Used Visual Basic to successfully rebuild a system monitoring program for monitoring server response times across the company network from Montreal, Houston and Omaha and send notifications when necessary.
- Designed and implemented a program which used census data to associate a gender with first names. This data was used to support the company's marketing division.
Assistant to System Support Specialist
Iowa State University Department of Physics and Astronomy. Ames, IA. Spring 2002.
- Administered web pages and gained exposure to Java Server Pages.
- Researched and evaluated software programs to determine suitability of use.
Page last updated: April 28, 2014.